Saturday, March 20, 2010

Trippin' with Jack Kerouac

I am in the middle of this insanely beautiful book On the Road by Jack Kerouac. I wish I was born way back when beatniks were the hip crowd. I love the fact that the passages are very familiar and his prose are really honest to a point that they are sometimes shocking. All those revelations. I will never look at any grand daddy the same way again hahahahaha.

On the Road is about a friendship created by these outcast characters. Jack speaks to Sal, the main character. He has a friend Dean(Neal Cassady in real life) who switches between two women in one night. Talk about sex , drugs and rock n' roll here. The novel also boasts of jazz music and the likes or Miles Davies and Charlie Parker. Man, I had to dig out old recordings just to hear that mourful jazz music from the 50s. Carlo Marx in the novel is actually Allen Ginsberg.

I can't wait to finish this one so I can post up a formal review. You can also find great info in this link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Road

No comments:

Post a Comment