Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bela Lugosi is Dead


   I got my self a tape of Bauhaus (In The Flat Field) when I was discovering  Goth for the first time in the 90's.I think I played them to death on a Halloween . I was mesmirized by the dark but sensual vocals of Peter Murphy.There were a lot of good bands in the 80's that made a crossover into the 90's because most of them found an audience known as Dark Wavers.
I did not classify my self as Goth though I did spent sometime visiting graveyards at night, and at that time I as already reading a lot of Baudelaire, Anne Rice, Clive Barker  and Edgar Allan Poe. Apart from Bauhaus, there was Dead Can Dance of course (they are not really Goth but they play good gothic music) and The Crow soundtrack.
Bela Lugos is Dead  is a cool song featured in the movie The Hunger. Iwas still a kid at that time to appreciate but it made a huge cult following here. Of course we all know that Bela Lugosi took the role of Dracula in the 1950's.
 I think My fascination for vampires did not actually take off until I read Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice and shared a correspondence with writer Karen Kunawicz who was writing these wonderful articles.
Unlike most Goth track, this one does not really on synthesizers to create an atmosphere .Everything is done through guitars.




Bela Lugosi's Dead

White on white translucent black capes
Back on the rack
Bela Lugosi's dead
The bats have left the bell tower
The victims have been bled
Red velvet lines the black box
Bela Lugosi's dead
Undead undead undead
The virginal brides file past his tomb
Strewn with time's dead flowers
Bereft in deathly bloom
Alone in a darkened room
The count
Bela Logosi's dead
Undead undead undead

No comments:

Post a Comment