Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Pungent but Sweet Durian Fruit


Ok , imagine this combination:gasoline, amonia, over ripened mangoes - thus the smell of Dorian, a fruit mostly found in the southern part of the Philippines. It resembles a jack fruit though not bigger than a coconut shell.
Durian is classified in the division Magnoliophyta Magnoliophyta (mag'noleof`?t?), division of the plant kingdom consisting of those organisms commonly called the flowering plants, or angiosperms .
, class Magnoliopsida, order Malvales, family Bombacaceae(thefreedictionary.com)...Whatever that means.....
My virgin tongue has been initiated to this exotic thing two years ago when Clarissa and I was walking by fruit stands after work work. Clarissa was my workmate who is an expert in a lot of stuff including the different types of tea, salad and even signature accessories since she has been to so many places.
There was this ripe one that is cracked (they crack when ripe and give off that distinctive foul odor). I have never tasted this thing before because of its reputation as a secret weapon to drive out people at a hotel or any places that has accidentally serve this. She asked the vendor to slice it open so I can have a taste.The aroma was all over. It's like a bomb hahahahah.
Detestable?This party pooper happens to costs somewhere around a hundred pesos per kilo ( a dollar is equal to 50 pesos) . People were looking at us as I took a bite from the fleshy seed , the flesh is composed by a light yellow mushy meat and I tell you, if you have such an active imagination, better close your eyes.
To my surprise it is delicious. It's like a combination of banana, caramel, and vanilla, with a slight onion tang.Tasty and well...you have to rinse your lips with alcohol or brush your teeth afterwards to avoid driving people away when you start to speak.
It was interesting and I might start buying the durian regularly.But I have to be careful where I dispose it or I will cause a havoc in the neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment